StarCraft® II

Mouse button binding

Hi, I recently bought a Logitech MX 518 Optical mouse, which has eight buttons, now I wanted to rebind two particular buttons, the ones on the side of the mouse to certain actions, however the game doesn't seem to let me.

I'll click on the "Add Alternate" button and then press the button I want, but nothing happens. Could anyone help?
Reply Quote
I use a deathadder and I've bind the side buttons to backspace for easy injects. Did you try to bind the buttons from the driver of the mouse instead of from the game?

EDIT: I mean like assign functions to the buttons from the driver first before assigning hotkeys in game
Edited by DarthNoko on 2/17/2011 1:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well I have them set to "Generic Button" but I can try other things.
Reply Quote
DarthNoko has said the best way to do it. What I do is use an external program and bind keyboard keys to moue buttons. ie. '9' to mouse button 5 and '0' to mouse button six. Then when I go in game I can bind control groups to my mouse buttons with no changes in game. You could do the same thing with any keyboard key.

02/17/2011 1:20 AMPosted by DarthNoko
I use a deathadder and I've bind the side buttons to backspace for easy injects.

I hadn't thought of that! I think i will be binding the middle button to backspace now. Thanks!
Edited by ZIGGYD on 2/17/2011 2:17 AM PST
Reply Quote

I use a deathadder and I've bind the side buttons to backspace for easy injects.

I hadn't thought of that! I think i will be binding the middle button to backspace now. Thanks!

yeah its pretty convenient :p
Reply Quote
I'm wondering though. In a tournament, is binding keys to your mouse buttons legal?
Reply Quote
02/17/2011 8:38 PMPosted by Paz
I'm wondering though. In a tournament, is binding keys to your mouse buttons legal?

Yeah why wouldn't it be? As far as I know the no-no is macros. Like you can do multiple commands in 1 click or stroke of a keyboard
Reply Quote
im gonna bind "Backspace" to Scroll-up and "Zero -> V" to my scroll down.

That way I can scroll-up, scroll-down, click Hatch....MUAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

Time to use the full power of my Imperator!

nnote: tnx to DarthNoko for suggesting something like that.
Reply Quote

Thats pretty creative!
Reply Quote

Thats pretty creative!

tried it out...works like a charm! =D I binded "Backspace -> 6 -> V" to my scroll button and voila! one click larva spawn =D

hmm is this illegal?? it feels so good that I think it should be illegal...like under-aged gi-...nevermind =D

PS: 6 is my group assign for queens
Edited by SiopaoAsado on 2/19/2011 6:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2011 12:12 AMPosted by FaDeSorathez
Hi, I recently bought a Logitech MX 518 Optical mouse, which has eight buttons, now I wanted to rebind two particular buttons, the ones on the side of the mouse to certain actions, however the game doesn't seem to let me.

Your resident key binding expert here:

Here is an easy way to solve it:

02/17/2011 1:40 AMPosted by FaDeSorathez
Well I have them set to "Generic Button" but I can try other things.

Assign the buttons to a keystroke you do not use for melee:

For example you might bind one of those 8 extra buttons to ; or ] or = even backspace to quickly move camera back to your base.

For example I want to put stimpack on a mouse button because playing Terran isn't easy enough. I choose to bind one of the side buttons to =

Then go to Starcraft and bind an ALTERNATE stimpack key to =

So when you press you side button to press =
It will trigger as though you were pressing the alternate Stim Pack key

- AcTiVillain
Edited by AcTiVillain on 2/19/2011 5:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Sorathez; i have the exact same model as u and i think it is fantastic (although i only use 3 of the assignable buttons:P)

ok wat u need to do is INSTALL the software u recieved with ur mouse (DVD/CD)
You cannot bind any kets to ur mouse through starcraft( only particular hotkeys for keyboards unless u have a customisable keyboard.

So once the software is installed ( known as logitech mouse and keyboard settings by my pc)
u should be able to quite easily, has self explanitary indicators to buttons and a range of commands pre ordered or u can select custom to input ur own desires. hope this helps if any more help needed post me in game or onthese forums:)

Ps if ur looking for a decent mouse that doesnt cost a bloody fortune, has a good dpi ( that is also variable) to suite ur needs. out of eight buttons though i only use 5 ;the two closest used by thumb for the cntrl function for quick groupings and the second one for 5 (this being all my hatcheries) left and right buttons the scroll for zooming and if pressed acts as backspace for quick travel between hatch. hope this helps once again and gives u ideas of particular functions.

Post note i reread thread, and noticed u used the generic buttons u can change them to keystroke assignment and u can assaign that should fix it :)
Edited by Krycek on 2/20/2011 3:19 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]