StarCraft® II

Typhon Quarry

After a few weeks of things happening and happening with maps, I've finally done a first for myself.

I uploaded a map, "Typhon Quarry" (rocks), to "Public", meaning anyone on SEA can play it.

It is in no way fully balanced, however, I would like the opinion of anyone and everyone as to what could be improved in all matchups.

Any replays that people wish to upload would be greatly appreciated and may help in fixing any potental, exploitable and otherwise obvious imbalances.

A few things to keep in mind for anyone willing to play on it:

- Underneath the rocks near the natural, digging through about 5-6 piles will lead to a couple of rich geysers with a lot of gas in them. This is not by design, however, it may lead to some interesting games with gas heavy units, so they get to stay for now.

- The rich resources in general are supposed to be there. If you can take them, you are either being very clever about it or your opponent may not be playing/scouting properly. The way they are arranged is intended since they aren't designed to be a base, more of an economy boost for as long as you can hold it if you can hold it. v2.2 no longer applies.

- There are two backdoor entrances to the mains. The larger one has three rocks in front of it, and the smaller has a lot of rocks in front of it which is unlikely to be used ever.

- Yes, the rocks are annoying if you right click on them with air units. I doubt this will be particularly gamebreaking when your mutalisks have an interest in the rocks maybe 2-3 units away from where you clicked.

In any case, thanks for reading, regardless of whether you play or not.

(ps. I know it should be in the custom map forum... but no-one goes there, sorry Blues...)

Edited by TCPMathmick on 7/9/2011 6:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Changelog:

v1.2 (first main version)

v2.0 (Released for testing)
- Removed a few rocks from the centre area to make it wider.
- Removed some rocks from the South-East and North-West rock areas.
- Removed the rich minerals from the South-East and North-West rock areas.

v2.1
- Added some rock doodads in front of the large pillars at the natural so units cannot "hide" behind them.
- Added some trees in the mains and at the thirds to make the map feel somewhat less dead and also to make the third slightly harder to come in behind the mineral line with ground units.
- Rescaled some rocks covering the rich resources so that they are smaller in the Z axis, and thus make it easier to see the rich resources.

v2.2 (Significant changes. Thanks to [FaDe]Rockstar) (v1.1 on NA)
- Moved the rich expansions forward so that they can be used more effectively (as an actual base), though resources have been reduced to that of a normal rich expansion.
- Elevated the 3rd bases, though the ramps leading up to it are quite wide as not to make it too easy to defend.
- Replaced destructable rocks with other non-destructable cliffs near the 4th expansions.

v2.3 (inconsistancy fix)(v1.2 on NA)
- Re-added the South player's third expansion, to where it should have been (and was v2.1).

Feedback under consideration:

- Void rays can stay charged for a very long time with proper micro and use of the rocks.
- Contains on the main base may be too difficult to break if rocks are broken to expand the front.

GT AI

GreenTea AI v1.07 has been added to Typhon Quarry. This map is called "Typhon Quarry (GT AI), and can be easily found in the custom map list!
Edited by TCPMathmick on 8/25/2011 5:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Congrats on your map! :D
Reply Quote
I'm actually being creative and making maps for no other reason than fun. It's good stuff but nowhere near balanced as I have no idea how to make it symmetrical.
Reply Quote
Nice.

Thinking of doing a few maps myself. Single player maps, of course. Know anything about triggers?
Reply Quote
I have no idea, my maps are just for creativeness, not gonna be used, I'm basically gonna make a screenshot using the maps I make. A massive war freezeframe.
Reply Quote
Testing tonight mate. Will test others if you have them. Add me and let me know CC#244
Reply Quote
Ahh good.

I keep missing you and haven't had a chance to get the maps.

Will try out ASAP.
Reply Quote
Not much I can offer, with my skill level being so low...

However, there is a fancy big doodad by the entrance to each base. The SW base can have buildings built behind it which can't be seen due to it's towering nature.

For the NE base, nothing can be built behind it.

Mainly pylons would be the issue.

Hope that helps mate.
Reply Quote
Nice.

Thinking of doing a few maps myself. Single player maps, of course. Know anything about triggers?

i know how to do triggering from wc3:P although im not sure if its the same functions and commands here
Reply Quote
06/25/2011 01:37 AMPosted by Masklin
I'm actually being creative and making maps for no other reason than fun. It's good stuff but nowhere near balanced as I have no idea how to make it symmetrical.

Select the Terrain on one side of the map. Copy using your preferred method.

Under the "edit" menu there are "rotate" and "flip" options. Select your preferred.

Paste on the other side of the map.

This does not work on maps with a diagonal line of symmetry. You'll have to do it manually.

Nice.

I know triggers. Well, WC3 triggers anyway, it looks the same.

It's the data editor that scares me.

Not much I can offer, with my skill level being so low...

However, there is a fancy big doodad by the entrance to each base. The SW base can have buildings built behind it which can't be seen due to it's towering nature.

For the NE base, nothing can be built behind it.

Mainly pylons would be the issue.

Hope that helps mate.

Fixed. It will be applied next upload.

Reply Quote
06/25/2011 06:21 AMPosted by jellybelly
know how to do triggering from wc3:P although im not sure if its the same functions and commands here

06/25/2011 04:07 PMPosted by TCPMathmick

Well, at least now I know who to turn to. I was pretty good with SC1 triggers (making battlecruisers with bombs and all that crap), and briefly tried my hand at SC2 triggers. My head hurts.

Now I'll need voice actors! Lol, jk.
Reply Quote
06/26/2011 12:01 AMPosted by tFcZFalcone
know how to do triggering from wc3:P although im not sure if its the same functions and commands here

Well, at least now I know who to turn to. I was pretty good with SC1 triggers (making battlecruisers with bombs and all that crap), and briefly tried my hand at SC2 triggers. My head hurts.

Now I'll need voice actors! Lol, jk.

SC1 is completely different from WC3/SC2.

If you have WC3, I can give you a simple walkthrough on basic triggers through SC2 in-game chat. Hopefully the system is the same.

Reply Quote
Added "Feedback under Consideration" to the list underneath the changelog.

Anything that you tell me in-game will that could be an issue will be added to this list if it sounds valid enough.

Please post replays also. These are particularly valuable if you find an exploit that could be gamebreaking.

Reply Quote
So how do I play this map, if ever? Custom games?
Reply Quote
06/26/2011 03:28 AMPosted by tFcZFalcone
So how do I play this map, if ever? Custom games?

Custom games.

You'll need to set up a game yourself with AI or someone in order to play on it. I doubt it is popular enough to get people to start opening games to public yet. It's always good to try, though, just in case =P.

Edit: It's on the "Up and Coming" list. It probably hasn't been played on yet so of course it doesn't have a recommendation rating through Fun or Not yet.

I hope it does get a good rating in Fun or Not though!

You may find a game through Join Game maybe. Guess we could find out soon.

Double Edit: It's second page on the "Most Popular" list when filtering by "Melee".

Edited by TCPMathmick on 6/26/2011 3:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Typhon Quarry v2.1 is now released with some minor changes. Details in the changelog above.

Reply Quote
Typhon Quarry is now available on the North American region! It says v1.0, however, the real version number is one on SEA.

Reply Quote
omg i played on the us mate and it woops ass great work...

jks im playiung in about 5 minutes :P

lol i tried it but got killed to fast im trying again :P
Edited by ReapzzHD on 6/29/2011 4:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ok so i jsut played it and i have some feedback.

1 i dont like how its jus a strait run into the oppenents base.

2 i don like the lack of an easy third.

3 i dislike how theres a backdoor entrance, but its really hard to get to u have to kill 3 opr 4 200 hp rocks.

4 i reackon its unfavoured to zerg because of the tight choke and with ff its unstoppable against P

GL in future editting and i hope my feedback helped.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]