Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Im just posting this to rant and relieve some of my disappointment I have in regards to StarCraft 2. :(
Sure, its an awesome game with superb graphics and cinematic scenes. The music, the game play, everything was top notched.. except for Blizzard's greatest strength, which was surprisingly and ironically missing.
I have always loved Blizzard games for one key thing, nothing to do with their gameplay or graphics, etc but purely for their story lines. To me, they are the best in the gaming industry when it comes to creating awesome stories. Playing Blizzard games, is like reading a book, just better.
Which is why I was quite sad when I finished StarCraft 2 and after the initial awe for the game had passed, I realized how they screwed up certain factors in the story.
Im just gona point out certain facts here and if anyone has any ideas why it lead that way, let me know.
1) Lets compare the original Starcraft 1 and its expension Broodwar, with StarCraft 2 and the coming other 2 expansions for it. First off, StarCraft 1 was way way more darker and had a more compelling story line, we fell in love with certain heros along the way and it literally broke my heart when Kerrigan killed Fenix in Broodwar. So many major characters died and so many things happened that was not mentioned in SC2, there was no followup with where they left the ending of BW.
Its like blizzard hired an entirely different team to handle the story as compared to the previous team (which in my book, did a far better job) running sc1 n bw.
2) Also, study how the game flow went for sc1 n bw as compared to sc2. In sc1 the campaign was first terrans, 2nd zerg and then 3rd protoss, followed by in the bw campagin, protoss first, terrans 2nd and zerg was the last chapter.
Which means, by right, for sc2 the campaign should be going in this order.. 1st Zerg, 2nd Protoss n 3rd would be Terran with them having the final say to the entire story of the StarCraft universe.
The style of the game flow would have certainly matched with the storyline.
3) I don't understand what was the whole point of the zeratul part. they screwed that up, didn't need to add that. and Kerrigan being changed back to human happened too quickly. If they had followed the above mentioned game flow, the redemption of Kerrigan should be at the very finale, not at the very first chapter of sc2. And some where in between they could have created a map where u handle things as the zerg, protoss and terran as all 3 races comes together to kick the hybrids butt and kill duran (which we never say in sc2.. hmm..), followed by a typical kerrgian maneuver in which she tries and backstab the other 2 race after their victory against the hybrids, which can then lead to raynor either killing her in the finally battle or curing her. Mengsk is off course long dead some where earlier, with raynor now in charge of the terran race.
It would also have been nice to see some recaps of Fenix's death or some of the previous heros that died, and even battle or visit to famous locations, (just a revisit to tarsonis is not good enough), I would have like to see a visit to the place where massacre of the UED happened. Like some kinda of ancient scrape yard or something.
Or ya! What the heck happened to the UED???!?! They got their butts kicked and Earth never sent another fleet again? Whats with that? Doesnt make sense. And another thing.. turning the overmind into a nice guy?! WTF?!?!?!? Trying to make the zerg seem nice?!? WTF??!?!?!?
They spent the entire time in sc1 (overmind) n in bw (infested kerrigan) showing us the horrors of the zerg race and how they are a mean bad !@# race that can whoop $%^, and next thing you kno in sc2 they make it seem like zerg is actually nice and that overmind n tassardar are playing together in zerg/toss heaven... I mean wtf is with that? Totally screwed up.
4) I miss the old starcraft units, I miss the lurker, I miss alot of things about them plus the game play... I used to enjoy playing as Zerg in sc1 n bw but in sc2, I hate it..
And whats the deal with each race having a "god like" unit except for zerg? Terrans have nuke, protoss have mother ship, what do the zerg has? who is their champion? And have u noticed how terrans and protoss have way more variety of units as compared to zerg?
Another thing.. where the heck is the evolution of the protoss?!?!?! I mean they have been living together for a few years by now!!! both the Light and the Dark side together!!! Tassardar was able to master both the light and the dark energies of the Protoss within a few days and look how he kicked butt! By right there shouldn't still be high templars or dark templars, they would have merged into a society where all the protoss are using both sides of the energies.
Or instead of merging a dark templar with a high templar and getting nothing more awesome out of it then a normal archon (I miss dark archon btw).. they should have added some more variety like maybe the combine energies release some sort of blast (like a nuke or something).. its all kinda of funny cause they are showing like nothing much has changed among protoss society, that despite living together for years there is still a separation among the two sides, doesn't make much sense... :-/
*sighs* well I seem to have come to the end of my "rant" and I cant think of any other stupid issues that Blizzard screwed up with the making of sc2, if I can think of anything else, will post em again with this. If anyone else has noticed any other screwed up issues comparing the older starcraft to this new starcraft 2 version, feel free to add on to the list.
Here is a sort of time line/ story line guide of how it should have happened!
1st chapter - Zerg Campaign
Story starts of with how Kerrgian has spent enough time building up her forces and goes after her old enemies, namely mengsk, after a few maps, she finally kills him and completes her revenge, then they can show her going after the protoss at shakuras or something, with maybe the destruction of the xel naga tower as the final mission? Would be kinda of ironic and fun if you think about it seeing as how in the toss final mission at bw its the activation of the temple and protecting it, but in the zerg final mission for sc2, we would be doing the exact opposite and would be about destroying the temple before the time runs out and the toss reactivates the temple.
2nd chapter - Protoss Campagin
Can start up with maybe, the return of Zeratul from his long exile. And it shows him as fleeing from the hybrids that duran created and some how or another he ends up leading them to Shakuras where there is the protoss/zerg war going on and the hybrid comes right in and messes both race up.
Protoss flees and becomes a normadic race, seeking for a planet or the means to defeat the hybrids and the zerg, etc. or something like that...
3rd chapter - Terran Campagin
can start up with how with the death of mengsk the entire terran sector is in chaos and how its left up to raynor to pick up the pieces, after a few missions of restoring and uniting all the terrans under a new banner, raynor is crowned as the people's champion or something and they go about looking for vengeance against the zerg for all the harm they did.
Some where in the middle, they meet with zeratul and the protoss, and are warned about the hybrids. knowing that only by combining the might of all 3 races can they hope to win against the hybrids, they seek out kerrigan and after much fanfare, all 3 races stands against the hybrids, but instead of that being the final mission, it could more like where kerrigan does a backstab n tries to use the opportunity to kill of the other 2 races once the hybrids and duran n whoever his master is are all dead.
However, she is defeated and in the process, cured? and with the zerg race being completely wiped out or maybe they become a very passive race, where instead of evolving towards war like units, they now evolve into more peace like units, or something. And how the terrans and toss live happily together with ever lasting peace for all.
This is just a rough run down of how the story should have been like in my opinion. If anyone has better ideas, by all means, do share or add on to it.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.