Turn Rate: 999.844
- Ground demolitions unit.
- Heavy damage against lightly armored foes like Zerglings or Marines, as well as structures.
- Can do high levels of damage very quickly when massed and allowed to hit the same target.
- Since buildings cannot dodge or evade, they make ideal targets for groups of Banelings, as do slow-moving troops and infantry.
- Do ’splash’ damage (damage in a small range around the ’blast radius’) when detonating.
- Can burrow with the Burrow upgrade.
- Able to detonate while burrowed.
- Can upgrade their speed with Centrifugal Hooks.
- Effective against light infantry – Marines, Zealots, Zerglings.
- Burrow: Allows the unit to take cover underground, rendering it unable to attack. A burrowed unit is invisible unless revealed by detectors or effects.
- Centrifugal Hooks: Increases the speed of Banelings.
- Use Siege Tanks in siege mode – their immense range can allow them to detonate Banelings before they get anywhere near the tanks.
- Armored units take less damage from baneling attacks – place them near the front of your armies.
- Attempt to ’kite’ Banelings – flee from them with a large group of units while allowing one unit to lag behind and take the brunt of their explosions in a sacrifice play.
- Groups of ranged anti-ground units like Hydralisks and Roaches (particularly with upgraded attacks) can destroy Banelings before they are able to detonate at key targets.
- Use Roaches as a meat shield.
- All armored units are good at tanking Baneling damage.
- It’s possible to kill the Banelings before you engage using Psi Storm.
- Immortals also take minimal damage from Banelings due to their armor, and can strike them at range.